Call us: (02) 9875 5714 Email:

Do you have questions? We’ve got the answers!

Is my local area covered?

We provide engineering services Sydney wide with little limitations towards the distance to be travelled. Contact us today to organise an inspection of your property.

What if I am not available during work hours?

ML Civil can organise a time that suits you, whether it be before or after working hours or during the weekend if need be.

How long will it be till my plans are ready?

We provide speedy turnaround times with most projects completed and back to the client within a few days.

What if I change my mind?

If minor alterations are needed, these will be addressed as a matter of priority without any additional fees.

How can I get started?

Simply contact us by:
Phone: (02) 9875 5714
Or click here to obtain more contact information

Why is a pre-purchase building inspection important?

The peace of mind offered by a pre-purchase building inspection is invaluable. You will be able to move into to your new home knowing that the structural integrity of the building is sound & there are no major defects and you will be aware of any superficial damage or minor maintenance that needs to be done. If any defects are found during the inspection you will then be able to make an informed decision as to whether you want to proceed with your purchase.

What is reinforcement and why should I use it in my slab?

Concrete is strong in compression (squashing) and weak in tension (stretching). The introduction of steel (reinforcement) in concrete improves the strength of concrete in tension. In a slab-on-ground, reinforcement increases the tensile strength and helps control the width of shrinkage cracks. If soil conditions are known to be poor, e.g. expansive clay soils, consult one of our structural engineers.

Why does concrete crack?

Like all other materials, concrete will slightly change in volume when it dries out. This change in volume brings about tensile stresses with the concrete which causes it to crack. This is the reason that contractors put joints in concrete pavements and slabs to allow the concrete to crack in a neat, straight line at the joint, allowing it to move when the volume of the concrete changes due to shrinkage. The prevailing weather conditions may also contribute to cracking with the risk most likely on warm days, dry days with low humidity and/or windy days.

What is a dilapidation report?

A dilapidation report is a conditional inspection and report, with photographs, of a building or property that is undertaken prior to works commencing on an adjoining property. The proposed works can include a new unit building (particularly if there are underground garages), alterations to a retaining wall, road works, underground tunnelling or demolition.

Why is a dilapidation report important?

If a dilapidation report is not undertaken then it is difficult to verify if damage has occurred during construction of the adjoining property. This often leads to frustration in a claim for damages. We have on many occasions shown a homeowner a crack or deflection that exists in a building prior to works commencing and they were unaware that it existed.

What are the requirements for building a granny flat on my block?

There are a number of guidelines which you must comply with in order to determine if a Granny flat can be built on your block. The current legislation is called the Affordable Rental Housing State Environmental Planning Policy 2009, otherwise known as the ‘SEPP’.

What is the maximum size I can build my granny flat without obtaining Local Council DA approval?

The maximum size is 60 square metres of liveable floor area. This does not include the Alfresco, Patio or carport. These are allowed in addition to the 60m2.

Do I need Council approval to build carport?

Yes, you will need to submit your application to council to be approved. Generally its best to use a private building certifier to do this on your behalf as this greatly reduces the approval times. Your building certifier will need your carport engineering plans which we can supply for you.

I am doing some alterations/extensions in my home, do I need a Building Plan approval?

Yes, any structural building work including – carports, pergolas, decks, verandas, alterations/ extensions, garden sheds and retaining walls higher than 1m require a Building Approval.

How to Determine a Load Bearing Wall?

Load bearing walls normally run perpendicular to the joists in the ceiling, and all outside walls will normally be carrying a load. However, it can be difficult to be sure if a wall is load bearing or not, one of our engineers will gladly come and inspect your property and provide you with a report. Given the case that the wall is of masonry construction and there exists suspended concrete floors above the wall please consult one of our structural engineers for further information.

Do I need Council approval for a retaining wall?

In most cases a retaining wall in excess of 1 metre high requires to have building approval. Any retaining wall that is less than 1.5 metres away from a building, other retaining wall or other building structure also requires approval.

Why is stormwater pollutant management important?

The stormwater from your dry cleaning premises travels via the gutters and drains to local creeks or canals and eventually ends up in a river, a harbour or on a beach. If it is contaminated with pollutants such as litter, wastes, grease, oil or other chemicals it can kill fish and other water life, and seriously pollute the environment where people swim, fish and play.

One More Question?

Get in Touch


Click or drag files to this area to upload. You can upload up to 5 files.
Back to Top